Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Mayo


I started making mayonnaise a few years ago, and then combined (and halved) my two favorite recipes. I make mine in my mini food processor, someday maybe I'll own a hand-held immersion blender and use that.
Thoroughly blend together one whole egg and one yolk with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (fresh squeezed truly gives me the best results), a pinch of salt, and a squirt of dijon mustard (1/2 - 1 tsp.)
While mixing, and with a steady hand, stream in approximately 3/4 c. of oil. (I use grape seed.)
Patience is key here, as this needs to emulsify. A few go 'rounds and you'll quit measuring the oil and just *know* like I do.  Cover and store in the fridge for 7-10 days. Yields a little over a cup.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought of making my own Mayo, but since my hubby will only eat Miracle Whip I guess I would not benefit from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too, but my kiddos prefer mayo. I’ve seen recipes to make your own M. whip, but he has it so infrequently it’s not worth my bother.

    ReplyDelete