Saturday, January 25, 2014

Lentil and Brown Rice Soup


Hearty and delicious, perfect for a blustery, gray day. As my kiddos say "It warms my belly."

1 qt. chicken broth
1 qt. beef broth
1/2- 1 lb. sausage (This recipe is meatless, but I think it really adds another layer of goodness)
3/4 c. dry lentils
1/2 c. uncooked brown rice
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes  (I use fire roasted)
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 medium carrot diced
1 onion diced
1/2 c. diced celery (I skip, we're not big celery in our soup people)
1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
8 tsp. dried onion flakes*
1 tsp. onion powder*
1/4 tsp. seasoned pepper*

* these are to replace a packet of onion soup mix.

In a dutch oven or large pot, brown sausage, then set aside. Add a little olive oil and saute the veggies until tender crisp. Add the sausage back in and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils and rice are tender, stirring occasionally.
Garnishing with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese, or sour cream and cheddar is a delightful addition.
Be sure to have a big salad and plenty of crusty bread to serve along side.

Yield: 3 1/2 quarts.

2 comments:

  1. I did a vension stew yesterday just to warm us up.
    I also ran the oven cleaning cycle yesterday just in hopes of warming up the kitchen. I told Sweetheart I might have to do that every day until the sun returns.

    ReplyDelete